Start Driving for
Classic Transport Today
Click here for an application.

Towaway Frequently Asked Questions

If you’re interested in our Towaway division…

Our Towaway contractors use their own 3/4-ton or 1-ton pickup trucks (10 years or newer) to deliver fifth wheels and/or travel trailers to dealerships all over the United States and Canada. Everything that is tendered to Classic for delivery is made locally in the Elkhart, Indiana area, so most trips start from our local yard in Goshen, Indiana. We also have a staging yard in Kenmare, North Dakota for units going into Western Canada.

Some commonly asked questions include:

  • How much does it pay?  Compensation is for each trip based upon the mileage between the origin/destination and the rate per mile. All compensation will be reported annually on Form 1099  (T4A for our Canadian contractors) and no taxes are withheld. Contact the Recruiting department for our current rates. Because we have a not-forced dispatch and our contractors set their own schedules and choose their own trips, we are not able to provide an average annual or monthly income.
  • Who pays for the fuel?  Drivers pay for their own fuel. We have a fuel surcharge built into our mileage rate and give you 50% of your trip compensation up front for your use as necessary to deliver the unit accepted by you for delivery to the destination.
  • Do I have to keep a log book?  Yes, we are still required to abide by DOT’s hours of service requirements, keep log books, and go through the scales when they are open.
  • Is there an age limit on my truck?  We prefer trucks that are no older than 10 years old. If your truck is older, send pictures to Recruiting for an approval decision.
  • What hitches do I need?  You will need either a Class 4 or better load leveling hitch and receiver (vertically adjustable and complete with the sway bars and saddles) or a fifth wheel rated for at least 15,000 lbs. A gooseneck and pintle hooks are not required but may assist you with backhauls.
  • What other equipment do I need?  Your mudflaps must completely cover each back tire with no more than 3-4 inches of ground clearance while loaded. You must have a mounted, secured fire extinguisher, a set of flares or triangles, a small breakaway battery (12 volts is usually sufficient), a 6-foot safety chain, a lug wrench, jack, tire gauge, basic small hand tools, spare fuses, a trailer break control, and toggle switch if you have both a fifth wheel and bumper pull hitch.  Your mirrors must be extendable, capable of towing 102 inches-wide trailers. Your windshield must not have any cracks and your tires need to be in good condition. Any window tint must allow at least 70% of light through. All of the foregoing requirements are necessary to comply with the applicable Federal and State safety regulations. Check here for a comprehensive list of required equipment.
  • Can I sleep in the unit?  The units we deliver are typically locked when you get them, so that you do not have to be responsible for the contents. As a result, most of our contractors either sleep in their trucks or take advantage of our national corporate discounts to find affordable accommodations for their trip.
  • Where do you deliver to?  We deliver throughout the U.S. and Canada and offer a not-forced dispatch, so you are able to set your own schedule and choose where you’d like to go from what we have available. If you are not able to enter Canada or simply prefer to stay in the States, we are able to accommodate you. If you are a Canadian citizen, you will be limited to delivering in Canada unless you possess a U.S. permanent resident card.
  • Can I drive seasonally?  Yes, you may. Some of our contractors are teachers or farmers or snowbirds and only drive during certain times of the year. We do ask that if you plan to be gone for more than a couple months that you let your dispatchers know what to expect.
  • Do you hire Canadian citizens?  Yes, we do contract Canadian drivers!
  • What happens during orientation? During our two-day orientation we will sign your retention paperwork, send you for a drug screen and DOT physical (if you don’t have a DOT physical already), take you on a road test unless you’ve already completed one for a CDL license, and send you through our CSA and log training class. By the end of the second afternoon of orientation you will be ready to take your first trip!
  • What do I need to bring with me?  Make sure you bring:
    • Driver’s License
    • Social security card or birth certificate or passport
    • DOT physical and medical card if you have them
    • Money for a hotel, food, transportation around town, and for the drug screen and physical. Contact Recruiting for the clinic’s current pricing structure.
  • For your truck you will need:
    • Current registration (20,000-26,000 lb plate required – contact your local license branch for more information)
    • Proof of insurance (including declarations page showing a minimum of $500,000 liability coverage
    • A copy of your title, application for title, or bill of sale
    • Current annual DOT inspection (for a select few states your annual state inspection may qualify – contact Recruiting for details)

We will also inspect your truck to ensure you have the right equipment to keep you safe and legal.

  • I just bought my truck and I don’t have my registration yet; can I still get started?  Unfortunately DOT requires that your truck be registered and that you not run with temporary or paper license plates. Because temporary/paper plates do not have a weight assigned to them, and because your truck must be plated at a high enough weight to cover the weight of both the truck and the trailer you’re towing, if you were to be stopped on a roadside inspection with a temporary/paper plate, you could be cited for being overweight. We care about your safety and keeping you legal while you’re on the road, and don’t want you to get a violation that will follow you for several years.
  • Do you have any backhauls?  We are able to broker backhauls for you if you find them. Our dispatchers are not always able to find them for you, but we do encourage you to talk with the dealerships where you deliver our units to see if something needs to come back to the factory for repair or go to another dealership. You can also look at load boards online (google “pickup truck load boards”) to see if there’s something you can grab to make your trip back to the yard or back home more profitable for you.
  • Do I need my own DOT number?  No, you do not. When you arrange to provide your truck to us, you will run under our DOT authority and be covered by Classic’s liability and cargo insurance while you are engaged in the delivery of a unit.
  • Do I need to bring my truck to orientation?  Yes, you do. We will need to conduct an equipment inspection on it to ensure that you have everything you need to keep you safe and legal while you’re on the road. By the end of orientation you’ll be ready to choose your first trip so we encourage you to jump right in and experience this lifestyle for yourself!
  • Can I keep my tailgate on?  If you will be pulling fifth wheels, we encourage you to either remove your tailgate or replace it with a V-gate. Otherwise we do have an insurance waiver you can sign if you wish to keep it on. We also have insurance waivers available for tool boxes and auxiliary fuel tanks that extend above the bed rails of your truck.
  • Can I have a passenger? You may have a passenger if they are over 18 years old and you both sign a Passenger Authorization form (countersigned by a Classic Transport representative). By signing this Authorization you agree that Classic will not be held liable for any injuries or claims of your passenger.

© 2021 Classic Transport, Inc. All rights reserved. Designed & Developed by Digital Hill Multimedia, Inc.